Easy, fun and delicious, these Chicken & Bacon Potato Skins are great to make with the kids, you can even add them to the cooking segment of your homeschooling! They’re fantastic served as an appetizer, or add a salad and enjoy for lunch or dinner with the entire family.
- Alter ingredients to the amount of potato skins you are preparing. Each potato makes 2 potato skins.
- 6 small/med potatoes
- 6-8 slices Thick Cut Bacon, (peppered bacon works great), cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 Chicken Breast, salt and pepper well and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 6-8 oz Mexican Blend Cheese, shredded
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
- Garlic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plain olive oil is fine, I like the spray
Sour Cream & Chives for garnish for Dip:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped well
- Mix sour cream with about half of the chives and mix well, save the other chives as garnish.
- Clean potatoes, rub with oil, salt and pepper, slice a small slit on the top of each potato and bake in a 400 degree oven for about an hour depending on size of potato. You want the potato slightly soft to the touch.
While potatoes are baking prepare filling:
- Saute bacon on medium heat until bacon begins to cook about half way, add chicken pieces and continue to saute with the bacon until chicken is tender and barely cooked through then set aside.
- When potatoes are done, remove from heat and let cool enough to be touched easily, this can be done ahead of time.
- Cut each potato in half and lay flat. With a small spoon scoop the center of each potato out so that you are left with the shell of the potato, making sure not to scoop too hard, you don’t want to break the skin and it’s nice to keep a nice layer of potato intact.
- Place potato shells/skins on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or foil. Spray each potato skin with the olive oil inside and out, season all sides with salt and pepper and lightly sprinkle with crushed red pepper. Place back in oven at 425 degrees to crisp up a bit, about 10 minutes on each side.
- Remove from oven and fill each shell with the chicken and bacon filling, cover with cheese and bake at 425 degrees until golden and bubbly.
- There are many variations you can do with potato skins, have fun being creative with Ham, Spinach, Italian Sausage, Chicken or enjoy the classic Bacon and Cheese.
This recipe was published on: