- 2 lg eggplants, sliced into 1/4 inch discs
- Marinara sauce
- 1 lb Fresh mozzarella, sliced or shredded
- 1 lb Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese/Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2-3 cups Italian Breadcrumbs, I prefer Progresso
- 2 lg eggs, beaten
- Prepare your marinara sauce.
- Rinse and slice eggplant into 1/4 inch slices, salt and pepper each slice and lay flat onto a paper towel to dry a bit and absorb seasoning.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl, in another small bowl place the breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a med/large skillet until hot but not smoking. Dip eggplant into egg mixture then dredge with breadcrumbs, brown on both sides and place on a paper towel or large piece of parchment paper to drain excess oil. Continue until all eggplant is browned and set aside.
- In a large baking dish line bottom of pan with a thin layer of sauce, place a layer of eggplant, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and sauce, sprinkle with fresh basil, repeat steps until done. Pour a little sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- When plating pour a little sauce over each portion, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.