- 16 oz uncooked split peas, rinse well
- 2 Hot Italian Sausages
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 8 Sprigs Fresh Thyme (leaves will fall off as they cook, stems will be removed later)
- 1-2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Tbs White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbs Fresh Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Celery seed
- Pinch Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 Sweet Onion, chopped
- 2 cups Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup Golden Potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese for garnish
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, saute Sausage for 3-4 minutes to brown on all sides (keep whole), add Chicken broth, Split Peas, turmeric, ginger, thyme, celery seed, salt, ground pepper, crushed red pepper and let simmer on low for 2 hours.
- Heat a sauté pan until hot but not smoking. Sauté the olive oil with onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots for about 4 to 5 minutes until onions are tender and flavors have blended together well.
- Remove thyme stems from soup base, add sautéed vegetables and potatoes to base, mix well. Add wine vinegar and let simmer on low for another 2 hours or so. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Before serving You can remove the sausages from the soup and serve on the side, crumble the sausages and sprinkle on top of the soup as a garnish or break apart sausages and mix into the soup and serve.
- Garnish with thin shavings of fresh Parmesan cheese and enjoy with chips or your favorite crackers.
Tips & Variations:
To make this dish vegetarian omit sausage and use mushroom broth instead of chicken broth.