This vegetable dish is a beautiful side to any holiday meal. The sweet maple, prosciutto and pecans accompanied by the beautiful carrots are simply delicious!
- 3/4 lbs small/medium fresh organic carrots with tops; peel, clean and leave about 1/2 inch green top on
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced prosciutto
- 3 Tbs Olive oil
- 3 Tbs Butter
- 3 Tbs orange juice
- 3 Tbs Real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Pecans, chopped
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbs Freshly chopped mint or chopped basil for garnish
- Pinch of Sea salt to taste
- Heat your sauté pan or wok over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add olive oil and butter, heat until butter is melted, add carrots and saute for about 2-3 minutes. Add orange juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, sea salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover carrots and continue to cook until carrots are slightly tender and sauce has reduced a bit, about 5-6 more minutes.
- Turn heat back up to medium high, add the pecans and prosciutto.
- Stirring constantly continue to coat carrots in the sauce until you have a beautiful glaze on the carrots and sauce is reduced down; do not over cook.
- Garnish carrots with chopped mint or basil sprinkled over the top.
- If needed, add another tablespoon of maple syrup the last 2 minutes of cooking to create a thicker glaze.
- Carrots should be tender yet slightly firm in texture when done.
- Olive oil and Coconut oil both work well for this dish
- If you don’t want to use orange juice you can substitute with water instead.
This recipe was published on: